Are you wondering how to become famous on Instagram?
Countless people today are looking for guides on how they can become an Instagram influencer overnight or attract millions of followers to their profile. It makes sense.
Instagram is one of the most popular social media sharing platforms in the world, with more than 1 billion monthly active users. In an age where customers are glued to their smartphones, Instagram offers a way to connect, engage, and explore that today’s consumers love.
However, while there are plenty of opportunities to achieve #InstaFame these days – it’s not easy.
People don’t become Instagram famous in an instant, even if they have some of the best content the industry has ever seen. If you want to achieve an incredible following on Instagram, and improve your chances of long-term success, then you’re going to need a strategy.
Fortunately, we can help with that.
Here’s your guide on how to become Instagram famous.
The Ingredients of Instagram Fame
Before you can start on your path to become an Instagram influencer, or achieve your first taste of Instagram fame, you’re going to need to get the basics in place.
Learning how to become famous on Instagram means knowing how to use the platform to your advantage. That means that you’re going to need:
- An excellent Instagram profile: Make sure that you have a business profile, as this will allow you to track the performance of your post via Instagram Insights.
- The right bio: Fill out your Instagram profile with information that will highlight your credibility. An engaging bio that tells your story, a beautiful profile picture and a compelling username are all crucial.
- The right content strategy: Promoting an Instagram profile with sub-standard content is a total waste of time. Make sure you know how to use your camera, and that you know what kind of content to post.
- Consistency: Decide how many posts you’re going to be publishing each day or week. Most Instagram influencers will publish material at least once per day.
There are various other ingredients for Instagram success that you’ll need to consider too, such as a passion for a specific niche, the right Instagram marketing tools, and more. Having a plan in place will ensure that you don’t veer off in the wrong direction on your quest for fame.
Once you’ve got the basics of your Instagram profile right, you can move onto the following steps.
Step 1: Do Your Research
Just like any goal in life, it’s important to have plenty of information before you get started.
If you’re new to Instagram, spend some time learning everything there is to know about the app, the algorithm used for sorting posts, and the rules you’ll need to follow with your posts. There are also some additional types of homework you’ll need to do to make sure you’re fully informed. For instance:
- What kind of competitors and idols do you have in your space? Are there people on Instagram that you aspire to be like? How can you mimic them without losing your unique essence? What about competitors? Is there anything you can do to make yourself stand out in the market?
- Which sort of niche do you want to be in? What are you passionate about? As an Instagram influencer or Instagram-focused brand, you’ll want to develop a thought leadership position in your space. It makes sense to choose something that you’re genuinely interested in.
- Who do you want to connect with? What kind of audience are you going to be reaching out to with your posts? Based on what you know about your competitors and idols, what are those consumers interested in? What do they like and dislike?
Remember, when it comes to learning how to become Instagram famous, knowledge is power. The more you can learn about your industry, competition, target audience, and niche; the more nuanced your plan will become. Look at how @Lipstickfever, Emily Roberts has built her position of Instagram fame by choosing a very specific niche (lipstick and makeup), got to know her audience, and looked for ways to stand out with unique content.
Step 2: Create Your Image
With your research in hand, you’ll be able to start creating your Instagram aesthetic.
Instagram is a highly visual platform, which means that the appearance of your profile, content, and everything you share is crucial. Going back to the example we shared above; you’ll notice that Emily Roberts is very effective at maintaining a specific aesthetic with custom Instagram highlight covers, and a well-spaced, emoji-rich bio:
Establishing a consistent image will make it easier for your followers to recognize you and begin building an affinity with your personal brand. Remember to:
- Plan your Instagram grid: Make sure that your audience sees something truly phenomenal whenever they click onto your Instagram profile, with a well-organized grid.
- Choose a color scheme: Decide which colors you want to focus on in your content and maintain that theme throughout your posts.
- Pick your favorite filters: Rather than constantly jumping between filters, select a handful that suits your material best.
Step 3: Plan Some Amazing Content
Having a great profile and an Instagram aesthetic is great, but you won’t discover how to become famous on Instagram until you start sharing valuable content. If you plan to become an Instagram influencer, then the kind of content you share will be crucial. After all, you’re convincing people that you should be paid to feature them on your posts.
As Instagram becomes increasingly popular, it’s growing even more difficult for users to stand out on the platform. To get ahead of the game, you’ll need to:
- Use the best camera you’ve got, and practice your photography skills
- Take videos and photos during the day when you have the best natural light
- Think carefully about how you can entertain your audience with captions
- Invest in photo editing tools like VSCO and Snapseed
- Deliver value: Find out what your audience wants to see and share it.
Remember, you don’t just have to stick to photos when you’re posting on Instagram either. Carousels and videos are an excellent way to change things up and make a deeper connection with your audience. Additionally, Instagram Stories are an amazing way to highlight the authentic nature of your brand with behind-the-scenes insights.
Step 4: Remain Authentic and Listen to your Audience
According to Nicole Loher – a huge Instagram influencer in the health and fitness space – if you really want to achieve Instagram fame, then you need to connect with your followers. That means not just posting endless content without listening to their feedback. Instead, you need to figure out what your people want from you and deliver genuine value for them.
When it comes to figuring out how to become Instagram famous, a lot of people make the mistake of thinking that they can just post whatever they want. However, the truth is that you need to prove to your audience that they’re not wasting their time by following you. Find out what kind of content your followers respond to best and adapt your profile to suit the needs of the people you want to reach.
What’s more, remember that even if you start to achieve success as an Instagram influencer, your profile shouldn’t become all about selling. Rather than advocating for any brand to make money, make sure you only work with people and companies that match your brand and reflect your values. Nicole Loher would never share a post that promotes unhealthy food because that would go against her identity as a health and fitness influencer and confuse her target audience.
Step 5: Hack your Hashtag Strategy
It’s hard to write an article on how to become famous on Instagram without mentioning hashtags. While many of the most famous people on Instagram rarely use hashtags on their posts today, you can bet that they started by tagging everything they published. That’s because hashtags are the tools that will help people to find your profile on Instagram.
Hashtags will drive more eyeballs to your content, meaning that you can begin to engage more potential followers. The good news for people who struggle with hashtags is that there are plenty of tools out there that can help you. For instance, Kenji.AI uses machine learning to track down the most compelling niche tags for your industry. Remember, the key to success with hashtags is using the right combination. You’re going to need:
- Trending hashtags: Things like #TBT and #InstaGood that are common among Instagram influencers and everyday users alike.
- Niche tags: The specific location-based and industry-focused hashtags that will attract the attention of the right audience members for you.
- Brand or unique hashtags: Your tags that are created to help you cultivate #Curated posts and become #InstaFamous
Keep in mind that having your own hashtag will help you to appear more professional and credible in your industry too. For instance, Joe Wicks, @TheBodyCoach frequently uses tags like #BodyCoachSchools and #LeanIn15 to advertise his new diet and health plans.
Step 6: Work with Another Instagram Influencer
Think back to your school days. The chances are that if you wanted to become popular in a particular class, the first thing you needed to do is make friends with the people who already had a lot of influence in that space. The same rules apply to Instagram fame.
If you’re sick of waiting around for people to find you and discover how amazing your content is, the best thing you can do is piggyback on someone else’s influence. Working with an Instagram influencer that already has an impact in your space is a great way to improve your chances of attracting new followers. Make a list of all the potential micro-influencers that might be willing to help you out, then reach out to them.
Remember, it may take a while to build the right connection with influencers so that they’ll want to work with you. However, commenting on their posts and sending direct messages should be a good start. If the influencers you choose see your profile and recognize that you’re relevant to their niche, they may get back in touch.
Step 7: Invest in Constant Engagement
Finally, #Fame as we know it has changed over the years. People don’t want to follow untouchable celebrities that they know nothing about anymore. Instead, they want to develop genuine connections with the people behind the profiles. Anyone learning how to become Instagram famous needs to figure out how they can help their follower base gets to know them better through regular engagement.
Consider telling anecdotes and stories in your Instagram captions that highlight your unique personality. Be witty and playful in your Instagram Stories, and don’t be afraid to experiment with gifs and emojis. Remember to ask your followers questions and respond to their comments too. The more you show that you value your community, the more they’ll reward you. Some of the other ways you can engage with your tribe include:
- Putting polls and questions in your Instagram stories to learn more about your followers.
- Running competitions and contests that allow you to gather and share user-generated content.
- Re-gramming and liking content shared by your target audience.
- Asking users to double-tap and like your pictures when they feel a connection to what you share.
Ready to be Instagram Famous?
Becoming a famous Instagram influencer isn’t something that happens overnight. You’ll need to think carefully about how you’re going to build an identity for yourself online and attract the attention of your target audience. Fortunately, with the seven steps above, you should be on the fast track to #InstaFame.
Just remember that you’ll need to learn and adapt as you go. Trends in Instagram fame rarely stay the same for long, and you’ll need to adjust if you want to continue engaging your followers. Gathering insights from your Instagram analytics, listening to your audience, and regularly analyzing your competition will help to ensure that you don’t fall behind the trends on your quest for Instagram success.